Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ping's Report (4) photos

My dear friends,

Here're the photos I didn't have time to attach last
night. 

Mian Yang -- Is a city about 110 km away from Chengdu
(the Capital of Sichuan Province). 

An Xian -- is one of the counties in Mian Yang. 

In photo "MianYang 5", on the red banner on the wall,
it's written " Disaster Relief Effort We are
together."

Those poorly build tents are some of the survivors'
homes for now. 

Remember in my report #2, i described a tibetan boy
called "Lang Zhen" -- the saluting boy? He's only 3
yrs old!! After the photo of him saluting to the
soldiers was published, it became a national hit! Many
boys' parents claimed it's their boy who's on the
photo. But they're all denied by the photographer.
Till a few days later, the real boy, Lang Zhen saw his
photo in the hospital. He pointed it to his mom (whose
leg is injured) "It was me." "But I didn't cry, I
really didn't cry." "Look at how many uncle soldiers
came to rescue me, one, two, three,..." He started to
count. According to his mother, the first 3 days after
Lang Zhen was rescued, and found his mother, he kept
saying to himself "I want to talk to my mom, I want to
talk to my mom..." Now, he doesn't allow his mother to
leave him a second. His dad is a local policeman who
only came back to visit him after his surgery one
night. Then, he returned back to the disaster relief
work. I attached some recent photos of happy Lang
Zhen, as shown in photo "LangZhen 1-3".

Photo "Panda" --

During earthquake, our national treasure: Giant Panda
bears were so scared that they climbed up and got all
together...


Photo "saved baby" --

This is another photo of this saved baby with her
mom's will left on the mobile phone.

Photo "9 Year old brother" --

It's an amazing story: Only 9 yr old brother carried
his 3 yr old sister walked by foot for more than 12
hours out of the disaster area -their home, with their
old grand parents. Both of their parents died in the
earthquake.

Photo "Transport Wife" --

A man was carrying his dead wife to funeral home... He
returned her a dignity on the way... 


Some people were surprised at the number of the death
concentrated in such rural area... In fact, Sichuan is
one of the most populated province in China. The
affected areas are very popular tourist region. If
this earthquake came in June to July, there would be
even more death, as every year, Chengdu people always
go there for Summer vacation. (My parent's summer
house was completely destroyed also) The temperature
there is lower than in Chengdu in the summer. 

The sceneries there are amazingly beautiful. Chengdu
people use to be very proud of those close to reach
natural access around their cosmopolitan city which
you can't get by living in Beijing nor in Shanghai.
For example, An Xian is well known for its hot
springs, and thousand-buddha mountain... People who
use to live in those disaster area had a comfortable
life style before because of tourism. Now, many
mountains and roads and their homes were destroyed...
They lost their homes, families, and the mean for
making a living... It significantly impacted Sichuan
tourism... Now, you can see empty Taxi's are
everywhere in the city... Many taxi drivers said they
would probably forced to search other jobs shortly...
Many other business related to tourism are also
significantly affected. I've traveled to many
countries in the world, but never once been to the
beautiful areas so close home. Now, it'll remain my
personal regret forever...


Photo "Me" ---

On my trip to Mian Yang An Xian, as my medical doctor
friend warned me about this scary bacteria, I
"equipped" myself from head to toes with military
uniforms and boots, also with my dad's old T shirt (I
cut off the collar part) completely prepared to throw
away everything upon return.

To my surprise, the driver can't hold himself any
longer in the end I guess. Finally, he made a comment
by the end of the trip, "I've driven for many groups
to the disaster area. But never seen any one who
dressed as stylish as you, you even put on a military
belt!" We all laughed so loud in the jeep. 

I don't know if I should take it as a sincere
compliment or as a sarcastic implication for my
stupidity. I realized how "over-equipped" I was
towards the end too. (I even carried swiss knife,
first Aids, umbrella etc) Especially consider I was
with International Red Cross officers, and I dressed
like a military soldier!? Plus, I seriously followed
the weather forecast which predicted a heavy rain that
day. It turned out to be a sunny day instead. As I was
scared to death by the warning from this MD friend the
night before: "This (scary) bacteria would get into
the water from dead bodies berried underneath the
rubbles... " So, my eye-catching shinny black
military boots made me look even more hilarious, and
give me this clumsy gait! On the top of that, if we
were really got lost in the earthquake, it would be
really dumb to wear a camouflage so that no one would
even see me! Such a stupid yet typical Pingish
mistake!


I will have to stop doing voluntary work for a while
to catch up my own business here. But i will try to
squeeze time to continue my reports to you. 

Thanks for reading.

No comments: