Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Garbage Beauty

I was in the shower. “Mom!”
“Yes.” Dad replied outside of the bathroom.
“Mom!” I raised my voice.
“Yes!” Dad raised his voice too.
“I was calling for MOM!” I said.
“It’s the same,” Dad replied calmly. “What’s the matter? How can I help you?”
“Well, I was wondering what I should wear” [for a New Year dinner].
“Aiya! Mother, your grown daughter doesn’t know what to wear! She wants you to tell her what to put on!” Dad immediately reported to Mom as if my question was the stupidest, most unheard-of thing to ask.
“Of course I had to ask! I didn’t know what people normally wear here for this kind of party, and mom never likes my clothes.”
“You should wear summer-dancing clothes. What kind of question is that!?” Dad used his usual sarcasm, and still couldn’t get over the fact I dare even to ask such a question.
“Anything warm! Not like your usual crazy ones!” Mom ran down and shouted outside the bathroom door, eagerly trying to get her message clearly through the door.

They don’t really appreciate my style, and never tried to hide the fact that they dislike almost all of my clothes. It just so happens that there is a clearly mentally ill woman who wraps herself with all kinds of different colored textiles and walks around our district from time to time. I am often fascinated by her sense of color and silhouette. But her way of dressing is a big no-no for others in the district. My mom refers her as “Laji Xishi” (“trash beauty”). “Are you trying to dress like the Laji Xishi downstairs?” she sometimes asks me. I understand her implication. But to be honest, I don’t necessarily think this Laji Xishi has a bad sense of style. On the contrary, I take it as a compliment.

One day, I found an XL man’s sweater in my dad’s closet. I was thrilled to discover this 100 percent wool material with square shaped patterns in front. I cut one piece open right below the front neck line, and flipped to the back of the neck. Then, cut off the two sleeves. I like its convenient style so much that as a big special offer, I told my dad that he can feel free to try it on during my absence in the cold season. “It’s big enough to be put on the top of any clothes—very easy to wear.”
Dad replies unhappily, “I wouldn’t wear it even if you sewed it back!”

--- Wrote during my business trip to Chengdu, to support Chengdoo Magazine "Relationships" issue. Published in Oct 07 (??).

No comments: