Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vogue

I was born into a family of an academicians. Fashion is the least of their concerns. My poor dad has no idea why his daughter would buy a fashion magazine with the hard-to-pronounce title of “Vogue” every month.
Out of curiosity, he secretly opened the first few issues by himself—because my mom wouldn’t be so happy to see her husband looking at almost-naked female models in magazines. He then shared his confusion with my uncle who apparently showed him empathy and support. My dad was shocked by the outrageous prices of some of the luxury products.

Dad: It’s crazy: A handbag almost the same price as a car!?
Me: It’s a luxury good. It represents a dream for some people.
Dad: OK. But to make a car requires a lot of work, a lot of parts, and a lot of mechanical designs … He can talk a lot about a car, being an engineer.
Me: OK. To make a luxury bag too, requires a lot of technical work on special materials …
Dad: In any case, I don’t understand why you have to buy 12 issues every year. Each issue looks the same to me. Maybe you could just buy one, it’s enough.

--- Wrote during my business trip in Chengdu, to support Chengdoo Magazine "Relationships" Issue, published in Oct 07 (??)

No comments: